I've been using this for a long time, but lately I've found that it wasn't working so well (The screen saver would launch and then stop right away).
Initially, I was using quicksilver and the guts of the ScreenSaverEngine to run something like that:
There is a better way to launch the ScreeSaver, it's to use the following applescript
tell application "System Events"Finally, the main problem was that I was previously using this trigger with the key combination ⇧⌘L 'on press', but it's much better to use 'on release', solving a race issue making the screensaver exit almost immediately.
start current screen saver
So to sum up:
- install Quicksilver (of course)
- enable triggers (maybe it's only in Beta?)
- make sure you have the "Run as Applescript" action (might be in a plugin?)
- add a trigger
- in the item section, hit '=' (to type a text, instead of triggering a search)
- paste the apple script above
- select the "Run as Applescript" action
- select a 'on hold' hotkey